Tuesday, May 12, 2009

STAR OF KOREAN BOYS OVER FLOWERS: I want to show I can act too


Taiwanese drama Meteor Garden shot actors Jerry Yan and Vic Chou to instant fame.

Now, Boys Over Flowers, the Korean adaptation of popular manga Hana Yori Dango, which will air on Channel U from 16 May at 9.30pm, looks set to turn its good-looking cast into international idols.

KIM HYUN JOONG, 22
Plays Yoon Ji Hoo, the Korean version of Hanazawa Rui

To female protagonist Geum Jan-di, Ji Hoo is her first love and occasional chauffeur who always stays silently by her side when she's down.

This is Hyun Joong's first acting attempt though he's no stranger to showbiz. He was the frontman of band SS501 and already had a trail of admiring fans.

He said: 'A lot of people are biased towards singers-turned-actors, and I hope to convince them otherwise through my hard work.'

He reportedly read the script hundreds of times, rehearsed scenes on his own repeatedly and researched autism to play the autistic JiHoo.

He even watched the Taiwanese and Japanese versions of the drama and bought two complete sets of the manga to read.

LEE MIN HO,21
Plays Goo Joon Pyo, the Korean version of Tsukasa Domyoji

Min Ho's career has been far from smooth.

First, he is prone to getting hurt during filming - the worst being an accident in 2006.

He said: 'It landed me in hospital for six months. I often wondered what I'd do if I couldn't walk or act again. It was a very painful period.'

To make matters worse, his first leading role in Run Mackerel in 2007 was reduced from 24 episodes to only eight episodes. Viewership for his following drama, I Am Sam, was also dismal.

Hopefully, things will turn around with Boys Over Flowers.

'People who give up hoping will never find success. Victory isn't important. What matters is persistence and never giving up.

'Even if met with failure, the never-say-die attitude is still admirable.'

KIM BUM, 19
Plays So Yi Jung, the Korean version of Sojirou Nishikado

Kim Bum reportedly agreed to take on this role after he met the Taiwanese F4. He was amazed at the sheer number of crazy fans the four actors had even a decade after Meteor Garden was aired.

KIM JOON, 24
Plays Song Woo Bin, the Korean version of Akira Mimasaka

Kim Joon does not have much screen time in the drama but the music group he belongs to, T-Max, performed the drama's theme song, Paradise.

He said: 'My horizon has widened since acting in the drama and I feel my potential slowly emerging.'

KOO HYE SUN, 24
Plays Geum Jan-di, the Korean version of Tsukushi Makino

In her few years in showbiz, Hye Sun has made countless appearances in commercials, music videos and variety shows.

She also scored a leading role in the hit drama Hearts Of Nineteen.

She recently released her first novel.

# This article was translated from the latest issue of U-Weekly.

No comments: